Why We Read

We see new places and meet new people in books. We explore new ideas and examine our own ideas. Hopefully, we learn, change and grow through reading. Read at your own speed. Enjoy the reading experience!

Nov 6, 2014

The Nobel Prize for Literature is usually given out on the 9 of October. I remember the date because it is my son's birthday. Again this year, Murakami was left out. This year, it was awarded to a French writer Patrick Modiano. I had never read anything by Modiano so I set up a list of his books to decide whether I approved of the selection. I don't! The saving feature is that his books are short and have to do with memories. In the case of Missing Person, it had to do with a detective who had lost his memory. I found it to be tedious. This is not to say that it is not well-written but there is no comparison with the skill,  style and universal themes in the writings of Mo Yan or Murakami. Mo Yan has his well-deserved Nobel Prize and Murakami doesn't. He doesn't need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment